Wednesday, June 3, 2009

i never said thank you for that.

Lately, i've returned back to my former love- Jimmy Eat World. Even though we've taken a bit of a break, knowing i could return at any time, always knowing that there was a song for whatever i was feeling, drew me home.

Music has a unique way of reaching me. I'm not even gonna begin to try to label it as something unique to me, as the Lord used David's music looooong before even the idea of my conception came about.  It makes me so sad that so many people are caught in this horrific little bubble of their "musical preferences." Sure, i understand preferring a particular genre, but even that is a little close minded.  Music ministers, music inspires, it encourages.  This isn't limited to christian music alone. For example, yesterday, the two year anniversary of my mom's death had me listening to one particular song on repeat.  "She is" by Between the Trees is an absolutely glorious song. I will speak no more of it though, cause i want you to go listen to it yourself.

I didn't mean to start this as a review though.  Recently i have just realized how much music is stereotyped, shunned, or supported just because it has a particular label.  I think Christians in general are just as much, if not more guilty of this than anyone.  Sure, there is a time and place for worship music (possibly beneficial for that time to be like... 99%), but so often we discredit the ability of "secular" music to inspire or encourage.

I'll start with the inspiration part.  Answer me this honestly, if you go all hardcore at the gym, and try lifting more weight than ever before, do you really want "Amazing Grace" by boyz to men playing in your headphones? If your answer was anything other than "no", i highly doubt that you've been having very successful workouts lately.  Don't get me wrong, Amazing Grace is an amazing song (like that rhyme?/amazing grace is one of my all time favorites), but it just simply doesn't get your blood pumping! (there are exceptions to every rule, don't get all righteous and argue with me).  Now, i'm not saying you have to go download something absolutely crazy like "Bodies" by Drowning Pool (but by all means, do what you want), but after all the goal is to lift weights, not kill people.  For me personally, inspiration music isn't always worship, but songs written specifically for what i'm feeling at the moment.  After all, its "times like these we learn to live again."

Secondly, encouragement. Part of this falls under what i spoke about before (songs specifically written for what i'm feeling at the moment).   Sometimes its just good to hear someone sing to something you're currently struggling with, currently rejoicing in, or someone just having fun and going crazy (not recommended for legal purposes, but watch Johnny and Christian- you can survive car dancing/whatever they call that).  For me personally this manifests itself on a regular basis through so many different songs. Like right now, their is a particular person who is very much less involved in my life than historically she has been.  She has "done nothing to make me love you less, so come back when you can."  That particular song has no spiritual connotations whatsoever, but when you think of the lyrical depth of this song, was not what he is singing about, EXACTLY what God says to us?  This song is about a person, but this openness to forgiving someone, and wanting them back is nothing knew. God sent his one and only son, Jesus Christ to die on the cross for us. Was this band thinking about that when they wrote this song? I don't believe so, but that doesn't detract from the message whatsoever.  The idea of forgiveness is just as appropriate in this fashion.  The same thing applies to many other songs though.  "Father's be good to your to your daughters, daughters will love like you do, girls become lovers, who turn into mothers, so mothers be good to your daughters too."  Once again. Truth. But is it Christian? Not specifically.

Just some thoughts.

hola.

1 comment:

Andrea Hollis said...

i love daughters! its like my favorite..john mayer is genius:) yeah i know, this had nothing to do with ur implications of this post...